How Do We Educate Parents for Students to Succeed in College?
I am wondering…
How much responsibility do we have as IECs to be parent educators?
Can we truly serve our students without guiding parents on information?
For a long time, I felt parent education and college consulting were different.
My Transformative Thought:
Parents need support and guidance, and I believe that IECs have a unique opportunity to support them so our students know where they want to go, what they want to do, and who they want to be when they get there.
- As IECs we are often tasked with “getting our students” into college. From all of my conversations with hundreds of IEC, I know that we wake up to guide and support our students so they will GET INTO college and SUCCEED when we get there.
- As IECs we have an opportunity to be “guides” for students on their journey.
- As IECs, we have an amazing opportunity to “guide” our parents on how to support students through this journey.
- As IECs, we have an opportunity to instill habits, values, and self-efficacy.
In my Ask Me Anything Event with @HannaStotland and I addressed HEAD ON the issues related to Title 9 and sexual consent.
Hanna’s advice is priceless:
- Encourage students to think of themselves as the driver of their own experience. It is their right!
- Create open and trusting relationships with your students so they feel comfortable telling parents: I am in trouble
- Stress kindness!
- Educate students on what it means to be a Sexual Citizen (And read the book)
Click Here if you want to watch the entire 30-minute interview!
For our next Ask Me Anything event on July 11th at 12:00 pm, join here!
Calling all Independent Educational Consultants:
- Join our next collaborative conversation for IECs to discuss ways we can support our parents on July 24th at 12:00 MST. Comment below for the link to register.
- If you are interested in joining our Summer Capstone Certification Program, fill out THIS FORM!