Laura Barr, founder of Emerging Educational Consulting, has designed a one-of-a-kind expeditionary learning curriculum to mentor students through the college search process, through 1:1 coaching, cohorts, and parent learning communities. Our team of highly skilled individuals manage the execution from start to finish of each student’s customized plan throughout the duration of the student’s engagement, empowering them and their families along the way.
College Planning Services
What We Do
How We Do It
We use a highly organized project management system to implement the Emerging Field Guide. The curriculum spirals through topics on personal awareness, academic planning, career, and college planning. Students meet with a mentor on a regular cadence moving through each stage of the college planning process until application completion.
College Expedition Offerings
For Freshman and Sophomores
To thrive, students need to grow and develop with mentorship, information, and numerous experiences that provide insights and growth. Our experience shows us that the more transparent adults are about college placement, the less stress and anxiety students feel. When students are engaged in a college guidance curriculum that encourages self-reflection, they are more likely to have the skills they need to succeed in high school and college.
- Personal + Career Inventory
- Resume Visioning
- Course of Study
- Grit Scale
- Activity Brainstorming
- Intellectual Curiosity
- College Visits 101
- Test Prep Plan
- College List Development
For Sophomores and Juniors
The Junior year is one of the most critical stages of the college application process. Students are focused on building their transcripts, participating in their school and local community, and balancing expectations and unspoken pressures related to getting into college. Our approach to this chaotic and high-pressure period is to tackle the application in small bites over time.
- Up-Leveling Resume and Activity list
- How to Research Colleges
- Visioning Careers list
- Essay Development
- Write Why Us? Statements
- Course of Study Guidance
- College List Development
- How to Attend a College Fair
For Juniors and Seniors
Senior students who have completed the first two stages have a clear path forward and can take ownership of their course. The role of the mentor during this time is to engage in a laissez-faire approach while encouraging the student to take more responsibility. The focus of this stretch is finalizing the college list and completing all associated applications on time. Students are gathering their teacher recommendations and transcripts while managing college portals.
- Personal Statement Development
- College List Finalized
- Personal Insight Questions
- Decision Recommendations
- Interview Preparation
- Planning College Visits
- Guidance on All Supplemental Prompts
- Common Application Completion
- Final Admissions Discernment
A Look At Our Process
- 01. Parent Fills Out Inquiry Form
- 02. Interview with Parent + Student to Establish Fit
- 03. Parent Completes Service Agreement + Payment
- 04. 1:1 Parent Only Meeting with Laura Barr
- 05. Student Schedules 1:1 Meeting with Application Manager
- 06. Student Schedule 1:1 Meeting with Laura Barr
- 07. Student Proceeds with Bi-Weekly/Monthly Meetings
- 08. Student works Laura + Team Through Field Guide
- 09. Parent Schedules Quarterly Meetings with Laura
- 10. The Student is Launched. The Process is Complete.
“Our session with Emerging exceeded all of our expectations. We were initially uncertain if meeting with Laura would be worthwhile, but we are so glad we did. Laura’s depth of knowledge was astounding.“
“There is no one who knows the educational landscape like Laura. Her ability to serve families from a holistic perspective is astounding. She knows each child thrives when the “right fit” comes together.“
“Laura felt like an old friend as soon as we walked in. I was impressed by how quickly she absorbed our family’s priorities. I highly recommend engaging Laura to help you navigate these critical decisions. “
The Parent Community
EXCLUSIVE MEMBERSHIP COMMUNITY FOR PARENTS
- Are you a parent who wants to raise good citizens?
- Do you want to know what colleges are looking for to give your student the best chance of acceptance?
- Are you looking for support in preparing your student to succeed in college?
Our parent community is just what you need! We offer access to like-minded parents and professionals with expertise in the college application process who are focused on simultaneously getting students into college and launching citizens.
Begin Your Journey
Ready to get Started?
Let’s map out your unique educational pathway to your ideal college experience.